Friday, January 25, 2008

Taupo

We planned to stay in Taupo for one night. In hindsight we would have spent a week there - it is the most beautiful town and our accommodation was situated right on Lake Taupo - it was perfect! I decided to take most of the afternoon off from the camera and went with Mum to the waters edge for a swim in the lake. The water was freezing but the bizarre thing is that the Lake is on a geothermal area. I dug my feet into the gritty sand when I first stepped in and nearly scalded my toes from the heat. We ended up laying on the sand partially covered in water and they only way I can describe it is like laying on a warm beach with cold water surrounding your body. It was insane! I did manage a few shots over the lake as the sun set. Beautiful. We will be coming back to Taupo - possibly in winter - its a definate. Photobucket Photobucket The clouds lifted and we were able to see Mount Ruapehu the following day. We could see the snow on the mountain top but had to be content with a distant view because it was a long trip to Auckland that day. I love the way the plants are creating a natural frame around the mountain in this shot. Photobucket

No comments: